As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear MD tracks of different length (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: MD tracks of different length
Boo
Re:MD tracks of different length 15 Years, 11 Months ago
ipassenger wrote:
texmex wrote:
How about getting G2 and using it for sequencing such stuff? You can create sequencers of your wildest dreams

Been meaning to do this since I got my MD, I'll see if I can find time tonight, unfortunately you lose the Pattern locks, but you can always send other control data to add some extra motion.. or just use the MD's LFOs, and/or possibly the CTRL8-P over the top.

somewhere in between is nice. I use mother misty's MD sequencer for the G2 to play alongside the MD in sync. I param lock and sequence something really simple on the MD and let the G2 fill in the gaps. That way the incoming midi notes are affected to some extent by the locks. It's not a solution, just making the best of a bad situation! Sounds really nice when the semi randomness of the G2 sequencers plays alongside the solid straightforward step-sequencing of the MD.
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
I made another example of the MD being completely controlled by the G2. Just 6 drums used, all running different pattern lengths.. only a short demo and not as chotic as the previous one but i think there is more coherency to the pattern this time.

http://elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=420&Itemid=30

Gotta agree with Dan above it is probably best used when combining the two concepts and machines, rather than the all out choas of the G2, plus there is a limit on what midi data my midi ports can handle.

Dan,

Which mother misty patch are u referring too?

Cheers

R.
Boo
just the patch he made called Md Sequencer or something. It's the only one called anything like that on EM.

I've set up a G2 performance running the sequencer on A, the Md Mutator on B, and a Monomachine mutator on C. So versatile - having access to all those MD and MnM pages and being able to randomise (patch mutate) pretty much every parameter simultaneously is a great way of getting a track up and running.

Using the G2 mutator function is great on the sequencer too. You can conjure up 16 tracks of note/event data with just a button press! Not to mention (though I will) the ability to set up 2 radically different sequences, place them as 'parents' on the patch mutator, and then generate 'children' variations. This way, you can cross over from parent to parent in 5 ( I think) steps. Pity the mutator can'tbe controlled outside of the editor environment.

I'm sure you can do this kind of stuff with Max, but it's so easy with the G2.
Game & Watch
Once you go Elektron...
Theres no going backetron!

-----------------
www.geirhelgi.com
Re:MD tracks of different length 15 Years, 10 Months ago
ipassenger wrote:
I made another example of the MD being completely controlled by the G2. Just 6 drums used, all running different pattern lengths.. only a short demo and not as chotic as the previous one but i think there is more coherency to the pattern this time.

http://elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=420&Itemid=30

fuckin' nice!!!
polyrhythmic action!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AAAAAAAH!
ARGH!!!!
IT'S AWESOME!!!

AAAAAAH!
Goomba
monome-MnM II-MD UWII-Nordmodular G2-Evolver-MPC500-SE1-Jomox xBase09-Sherman FB2
SYS2064 on SoundCloud
Re:MD tracks of different length 15 Years, 6 Months ago
Hi!
On the electro-music forum you can download a pair of G2 patch to control the MD. Same info:

- 16 individual event sequencers (to trigger the 16 MD parts)
- Each sequencer can have 2 patterns plus an option to x-fade between them
- Each sequencer can have it's own tempo (clockdivider) and it's own lenght
- Random trigger for each sequencer

one of the nice things about this patch is that your MD now has a "sequencer mutator", a great & easy way to generate patterns.

Thanks to mother misty!!!

Sequencer for the Elektron MachineDrum
http://www.electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11362

Elektron Machinedrum Midi Control Automate patch
http://www.electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11367
Game & Watch
I´m a fool for this kind of sequencing manipulation...too bad the micromodular and modular G1 can´t export MIDI data like the G2
Cappy
The results using modular G2 were good listening. Sorry I'm not following. Are the tracks of different lengths at the same tempo?

Maybe the arps are more cumbersome to work with, and results come about quicker using the preferred change of length per track.

Aside from a marked facility in building rhythms and that reversing directions of the sequence can't be done with as interesting a snare part on MD alone, what prevents set ups with rhythms such as ipassenger's mp3?

With some attention to detail and using swing with track accent, there should be something closely attainable, as track delay filled in some of the syncopation as well.
Go to top Post Reply